Monday, July 31, 2006

Breastfeeding Is Not Obscene

This beautiful photo recently graced the cover of babytalk magazine:



A mother feeds her baby while the baby gazes adoringly at it's mother.  I can't tell you how many times one of my babies has looked at me like that.

Breastfeeding is a natural way to feed one's child.  It's also the healthiest way to feed one's child, bar none.  Formula is sometimes necessary for people who can't breastfeed, but is really only a pale substitute of the goodness of breastmilk.

Babytalk and other magazines are full of pictures of babies being fed from a bottle, and full of formula advertisements.  So, what is the problem with seeing a baby eat?  Apperantly nothing, unless the baby is eating from a breast.

Some of the comments from readers included:

  • I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see.


My husband asked what man doesn't want to see a boob?  Honestly, it's just ridiculous.  Look away, for heaven's sake.  But I don't see what the big deal is about eating. 


  • Men are very visual.  When they see a woman's breast, they see a breast — regardless of what it's being used for.


I disagree.  And, again, what are they doing watching?  I mean, I don't cover up too much, but I equally don't hang lights and blow whistles to draw attention to myself.  Many people don't notice what we're doing most of the time.


  • Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob!


She's sick of seeing a baby eating?  I think that's her problem.  This is how we were designed to feed our babies.  If it was wrong for some reason, God would have made the milk come out of my finger or some other "appropriate" place.  I won't appologize for feeding my baby the way God intended me to.

  • I just think it's one of those moments that should stay between a mother and her child.


It's eating.  It's not public, but it's not private either.  There are certainly some beautiful private moments that my child and I have shared while nursing, but it's not something I should have to hide away to do.

(Quotes courtesy of MSNBC News)

Personally I'm wondering why everyone's making a fuss over a completely natural and beautiful photograph of a mother and baby, while no one's batting an eye at Brittney's last cover:



A beautiful pregnancy photo, to be sure.  But she's showing a heck of a lot more skin in that one.  And it's far more explicit!

I don't know when America is going to get over it and realize that breastfeeding is just a baby eating.  It's not gross, or wrong, or obscene.  It's just a baby eating.  And until you're willing to do away with restaurants and adults eating in public, I won't stop feeding my baby anyplace he's hungry!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!