Thursday, November 06, 2014

It's A Feature, Not A Bug

I spend a lot of time with people who have strong personalities.

Personally, I'm a fan.

I like people who speak their minds and know what they think. I like people with whom I will always know where I stand. I like people who can advocate for themselves and others.

But I'm getting a little tired of so often seeing others in terms of negative.

I think that a lot of time the only difference between a quality that's a feature as opposed to a bug, is how we look at it.

Granted, this doesn't work for everything. Racists, homophobes, and people who talk too loud at the movie theater are clearly bad people and should be destroyed. Or at the very least, shamed deeply.

But for the love of all things purple, sometimes we need to have a little more patience with people. It's not as if any of us are little packages of perfection, wrapped in rose petals. We're all big jumbles of issues and insecurities, and the vast majority of us are just trying to do our best.

I think we're not being the people that Mr. Rodgers knew we could be. And why not? What good can it possibly do us?

I'd like to be the person who sees certain personality traits as features, rather than bugs. In a brash and opinionated friend, I can be grateful for the loyalty and the fact that I'll never wonder where they stand. In a busy friend, I can be grateful for the responsibility that they take on so I don't have to.

We can't change people. But we can change ourselves. We don't give other people enough credit, and if we're honest, we probably don't give it to ourselves either.

We can do better.

I can do better.

*****
One thing that motivates me to keep trying to get better, is the support of the readers who visit. If you wouldn't mind taking a second and clicking the banner below, to register a vote for my blog, it would mean a lot to me. Thank you!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!