Sunday, June 20, 2004

A New Job For the Mommy

Well, I have certainly been neglecting my blog in the hustle and bustle of a busy moms life. Last weekend we went for about a day and a half to California to pick up my step-daughter Karina and bring her home to us. Then this week I have started a new job.

I have often worked at this Care Center as a pool nurse. I love the place. I love the way it's set up into neighborhoods and treats the residents as individual people It is the kind of place I'd want my mother to be. Anyway, I haven't been getting the hours from my agency that I need and this facility has an internal pool, so I've hired on there directly. This week has been tough however, as I've had to go each day for about 8 hours to orient to the facility. It's the longest during the day that I've been away from Bridget.

The kids have been with their daddy, in very good hands, but it doesn't make it easier for me. I happen to know that my place is in the home. I just have to remind myself that it's just a few days. Then I can go back to sneaking off in the night, when no one will miss me. And I won't miss them so much.

So, I'm busy and tired and generally looking forward to the end of orientation. It's such a great facility though, I want the kids to volunteer with me there. We've been trying for months, but they orient volunteers too. First orientation was canceled for weather, then twice for lack of volunteers, then I went on bed rest with Bridget. So, we just haven't gotten there. But they're so excited to have me, and want us to come volunteer so we will soon. The elderly residents love having children. I found in a previous facility that even combative Alzheimer's patients would change dramatically when they saw a baby.

So, I'll let you know how it goes.

Have I mentioned that potty training a two-year-old can be similar to having a new puppy? Fodder for another entry I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!