Friday, April 04, 2008

Charlie

I grew up with a cat named Freckles who was mine from age 3 to age 20.  I was very attached to her and have always wished that I could give a wonderful pet like her to my kids.  As a little girl we always had at least one cat in our house, and I thought there was nothing better than curling up at night with a warm, furry friend.  As much as I've wanted a cat for the kids, we've been renters for years, and while you can have a pet, it just always seemed like a lot of trouble.

Well, now that we own our own home, it was time to add a pet to our family.  I've been checking websites, pet stores, and the human society pages for a cat that would be a good fit for our family.  I didn't want a dog.  I like a lot of dogs, but having a dog is often like having another child and I didn't want that kind of work.  I wanted a cat that was young, or even a kitten, so that it could grow up with the kids and be playful and fun.

Today I found a couple of cuties on the local humane society website and so Reagan, Piper, and I went down to meet them.  The first cat didn't like to be handled.  That wasn't going to work for us.  The second one wasn't sure about any of us.  That wasn't going to work for us either.  Then we were introduced to a 4 month old, short haired black male kitten.  He jumped immediately into my arms and began purring loudly.  I knew we'd found our match.

So, we adopted Charlie.  We went straight to Petco and picked up a few kitty essentials, and brought Charlie home to meet the rest of the family.  Everyone loves Charlie.  And he's having a great time exploring his new home.  He's got a bell on his collar and I can hear him jingling about the house, sniffing this, and sniffing that.  It was hard to get the kids to go to sleep as they all hoped Charlie would sleep with them.  Even Dominic (who's been very wonderful about us getting a kitty) has started to warm up to him.

I think Charlie's going to fit in beautifully here.  And it makes our house feel that much more like it's ours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!