Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Pecan Pie: It's Our Safe Word

We've all been there (or please, lie to me and tell me we've all been there), where you're playing with your child, who is clearly having a good time, but you need it to be over.

You're done playing and it needs to stop, but there is no way to stop it without suddenly killing the fun.

No one likes to be the fun killer. Especially when you spend most of your day telling people they have to do things they don't want to. Like eat their vegetables, brush their teeth, put on pants. Liam especially dislikes that last one.

So, today I was playing with Bridget. She was trying to get a blanket away from me. It's soft and fleecy on one side and had just come out of the dryer.

We were having a good time, but I had other things to do, and she would not stop wrestling me for the blanket.

When I finally did get her to stop, she was mad at me. After all, I'm mean.

I tried to explain that I lose my big end-of-the-year mom bonus if I don't suck the fun out of things. But somehow, that didn't make it better for her.

So, I came up with an idea. Maybe what we needed was a safe-word. Something that either one of us could say to end a game without taking all the fun away, or making each other mad. It would also be a good way to say that something was going too far (that usually happens when the kids are playing with each other).

Bridget came up with "Pecan Pie" which is now our new safe word. And she says it in a funny voice, so it makes me laugh when she says it. I, of course, try to mimic her voice, so that makes her laugh too.

I like it when I don't have to solve every issue all by myself.

*****
You read all the way through that? Thanks! If you liked it, click the link below which registers a vote for me, would you? Thanks. You're the best!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!