Friday, July 10, 2009

My Husband Rocks! Sick Days

My Husband Rocks

Wedding vows are something my husband and I take seriously. They aren't just words said as part of a ceremony, but real commitments we made to each other that we plan on keeping for a lifetime.

When people get married, they picture all the good things to come. Home, family, vacations, growing old, holding hands, laughter, and all the things that make a lifetime of memories. But that isn't all marriage is.

I don't think most people think about what it will be like when one has the stomach flu, or morning sickness, or cancer. I know I didn't think about what it would be like to lose a baby together, or struggle through grief. Every time I work I see couples, navigating the aging process and trying to care for each other through illness and injury. These things test marriage, and can ultimately make them stronger. But we have to do the work.

My husband is so good with this. I'll be honest, he's strong when I'm not. He has an incredible work ethic that he applies to our marriage just like everything else. He knows how to keep pushing through, even when it's hard. And he tries, always, to take care of me.

This week I've been very sick, which has been hard for Dominic because he's been working so much overtime. But when he's here, he wants to know what I need, how he can help, what he can do. More than that, he does it. He brings me food, or bathes the kids, or makes sure they clean up so that I can rest.

I don't know what else life will toss at our marriage. But I know our marriage has a firm foundation in our faith, and that we're working every day to make it stronger. And I know that my husband will be strong when I am not, and support me and this family, every step of the way. They say that a good wife is worth more than rubies. But so is a good husband! And I'm terribly grateful for mine.

This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.
1 John 3:16

3 comments:

  1. i've been working, so I am so sorry to hear that you have been so sick.

    I hope I am allowed to say this a lot...your husband is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for holy husbands! I really hope you start feeling better soon...and I will pray for your pregnancy and your recovery. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...I think somethin' happened to my first comment on here! Your husband sounds like a sweetheart. Pat him on the back for a job well done!

    How are you feeling? Is the medication working? Continuing to pray for you!

    Blessings,
    Beth

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!