Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reflecting On "Biblical Chastisement"

Photobucket


Lydia Schatz's parents have pled not guilty to murder and torture. It seems so strange to me to type those words: murder and torture. I know that it happens, but I just can't wrap my brain around how. When I look at my children, I can't fathom it.

The news articles I read keep calling what happened, "Biblical Chastisement".  I'm starting to really hate that term. I understand why they're using it. I understand that they're trying to bring some kind of understanding to something unthinkable. My problem is that I believe in a loving God. My God is so full of Grace and Mercy that what the Schatz's did is the antithesis of what His word teaches me as a parent.

I pray that when people think of Christianity, this is not the image they carry with them. The Pearl's teach no mercy, perfect obedience, and discipline at the end of the "rod". But within the pages of scripture, I have read over and over the importance of grace, understanding, and that the most important lessons can not be trained or beaten in.  We do not reach the hearts of our children through the switch, but through daily acts of love and sacrifice.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his unlimited patience as an example for those who would believe on him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.
1 Timothy 1:15-17 (bolding mine)
This is the God I believe in.  The one who shows mercy and unlimited patience to me, who is so undeserving. Why would I not try to do the same for my children?

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!