Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Basic Training

Praise God from whom all blessings flow,
Praise Him all creatures here below,
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host,
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

Such simple words. I learned the Doxology when I was a very little girl. We sang it every Sunday. I'm amazed at how much I was given. But I was never trained to use it.

If our children are to be Soldiers of Christ, we must give them more than weapons. We must give them training. We don't send our men into battle with just a gun and a "good luck". We teach them how to put the weapon together, take it apart, load it, aim it, and do it all in their sleep. How much better prepared will our children be when we give them the same preparation for the world.

Maybe my analogy is a bit harsh. Our family isn't particularly fond of weaponry. It's just that when I look back, I knew the words, but not their meaning. Or at least their meaning for me. I want my children to know their scripture well. I want them to know their theology, even just the basic catechism. And I want them to know why we believe the way we do. Not just to evangelize, but to protect. This world is full of powerful views, beliefs, and faiths. I want them stand firm on the rock of their faith in He who is above all.

How does this all tie into homeschooling? Homeschooling is the path our family is taking to reach that goal. I can bring the love and instruction of Christ into everything our family does. They're learning about the parental love of God the Father by watching their mother and father. No pressure! And they're learning that their faith isn't something to be saved for Sunday morning and then put away again. Following Jesus is something we do every day.

I'm not saying that I'm really good at this. I get short with my children. I forget the value of togetherness when I'm bogged down in the mundane day to day. Sometimes I forget that the best gift I can give my children is my time, my attention, and my laughter. But we are striving toward a goal. While we will never achieve perfection, we will keep getting up and marching forward with joy in our hearts and the Trinity before us, behind us, and at our side. Who could be better company?

The Doxology is playing in our home right now. I think I'll go and teach it to my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!