Saturday, October 29, 2011

All Done

After Brennan was born, I was sitting in my hospital room, trying desperately to hook myself up to a breast pump, and missing my preemie in the NICU, when a nurse came in to take vitals and actually asked me, "So, you going to have more?"

Now, to be honest, I wasn't completely shocked by the question.  I hear it all the time.  But my first thought was that I wanted to get through having had that one before I even thought about having more.

As it turns out, I have had one more.  Liam is a precious, sweet, little guy, and I'm so glad he's here.  But I can finally say without any hesitation in the back of my mind anywhere, that I don't want any more.

Seriously, I have seven kids.  I've done my duty, right?  More than my duty.  In addition to all of the needs of the seven individual human beings who need me as their mom, I have one with Asperger's, one with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and one who was born with a serious Neural Tube Defect.  And they need even more.  I think it's fair to say that I want to focus on being the best mom I can to the the ones I have.

I have loved my babies.  There is something magical for me about staring into that tiny face and knowing that there is a special bond between us that has only just begun.  And let's not underestimate the draw of new-baby-smell.  It's like crack.

So, here's what it all boils down to:

Michelle Duggar Wins.  

She gets the crown.  I get my awesome kids.  I'm good with that.

 

1 comment:

  1. I think lots of times when people ask "Will you have any more?" its just to make conversation. I have three. And the moment I knew #3 was able to come home from the NICU and therefore had made it safely into this world I knew I was totally done. Which works out great being I had my tubes tied during his c-section. I always pictured myself with only two but somehow I knew after #2 I wasn't yet "done." Kuddos to you for seeming to be making it gracefully through with all you have on your plate. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!