Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Where To Go?

I started blogging about 5 1/2 years ago. At the time it never occurred to me that anyone outside my immediate circle of friends and family would have any interest in it at all. I blogged about how homeschooling fit into our day. Over time I posted more about my personal life, thoughts, and feelings.

My readership peaked in February of 2005 with the loss of our daughter. That month about 25,000 people stopped by to see the trainwreck that was our loss and all the hoopla that surrounded it. It's funny how strangers can think that they should make decisions for you that have absolutely no bearing on them at all, and without all of the information.

I've moved my blog twice since then and plenty of people forgot about me. Which, I think, is largely a good thing. I'd really never want a repeat of the battleground my blog was back then. And, to be honest, for a long time, it made me a bit gun shy about blogging. But I recently remembered how much I enjoy having an outlet to talk about our family and how we're growing and changing, not to mention what I've learned along the way.

Now I've had to decide if I want to keep writing for me, or if I want to keep writing for you, the readers. I think there might be two or three of you out there somewhere. And at least one of you is related to me. Hi, Aunt Linda! *wave*

I think I could drive myself absolutely batty trying to figure out what people want to read, and then trying to give it to them. Especially since there are going to be at least 100 other blogs doing it better. I don't think I want to do that. My time is pretty precious these days. Between home, kids, husband, work, and everything else, I don't have the time to spend worrying if anyone cares about what I have to say. At this point, I care and I think that's good enough.

So, it may be boring that my five year old daughter managed to set the tone for the day by asking for waffles for breakfast and then being so mad that she didn't have 3 of them, that she refused to eat any and threw a hissy fit. It may not be terribly fascinating that I'm having a blast teaching the girls about Bach (who really didn't have a son named P.D.Q. it turns out, who knew?) or that I found some really cool websites during our Yellowstone National Park study. And maybe no one will laugh but me if I write the things -that-changed-about-my-body-when-I-had-kids list I've been thinking about. But these are things I want to remember in another 5 1/2 years, so it's probably what you're going to find here.

If you'd like to know you're not alone on the crazy motherhood journey, feel free to grab a cuppa tea (I strongly recommend Moon over Madagascar, Organic Scottish Breakfast, or Peppermint, I'm pretty serious about my tea) and stop by anytime.

9 comments:

  1. Here's the thing about you Anne, you are a very very good writer...you make "waffles" intersting. I plan on sticking around here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, Sarah Mae, that's high praise coming from you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read, I read! I have followed you on at least 3 blog moves, and WWF as well. I don't always have time to comment. Shoot, I rarely have time to actually blog myself these days. But I am always reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Becky, you really have been with me for a while! Thanks for reading, you've been such a fun blogging friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your a Blessed writer so of course we want to read lol!! and yes You make waffles that your daughter asked for sound interesting so keep ranting some of us are listening and encouraged by your walk as a Christian women and Wife and Mother .....and as you work all this stuff out. ~Be Blessed
    ~Heather;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Anne! I think it is SO easy to get caught up in writing for readers as opposed to what YOU really care about. I pray that my blog will bless others; however, I don't want to forget about the satisfaction that is found in good ole' self-expression and family archival!

    I plan to stick around here too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Heather and L.H.

    Dominic, I love you desperately and love being able to tell people what a wonderful husband you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anne
    I guess I'm one of your lurkers! I've been reading your blog for a few weeks - I think I foun you from Sarah Mae's and found hers from Down to Earth. Anyway, my point is that I too am a christian homeschooling Mum and it is refreshing to read about others in similar situations. Blog for you, no one else. I find 3 year old tantrums and vents about inhumane cancer doctors facinating as I'm neither the mother of a 3yo or a nurse! I also have no idea about autism, but am curious and always happy to learn about how to help others. If my understanding increases about autism, it's because of you and that's a good thing. I hope you, your little tribe and inutero bub are all healthy and happy today. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome Larissa! And thank you so much for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!