Wednesday, November 02, 2011

It's Hard Out There For A Mom

You have no idea how badly I want to open up this blog post with a line about getting money for the rent. And, no, I couldn't come up with anything more clever than that. What can I say? It was a really long day.

There are a lot of things that making my job as Mom harder. But I don't feel like taking an entire blog post to bitch about how hard things are. It's November. Thanksgiving month. I should be thinking about the things I'm grateful for. There are a lot of things I'm grateful for. And let's not pretend that there aren't 1000 other mom blogs out there sharing the woes of motherhood and doing it a hell of a lot better than I am.

 But can I share something that's bugging me? After all, it's just us here, right? I'm sick of people telling me I'm a Super Mom. If I deny it (as I should), I sound like I can't take a compliment. But, to be honest, it's a bold-faced lie. Super Moms don't get overwhelmed by homeschooling and give it up. Super Moms bake cookies, always have the laundry done, have a clean house/kids/cats/whatever, don't lose their temper with their kids, have positive attitudes, and feed their babies only the best. Last week when I was sick, I served my kids poptarts for breakfast. They ate them. I called it good.

There's nothing "super" about me. But then, I think the real truth is that there is no Super Mom. There's only us real moms. And we're way better anyway.


3 comments:

  1. annette had a popsicle for dinner yesterday. you're doing fine in my book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think Supermoms actually exist. Except maybe Michelle Duggar in front of the cameras (if someone has 19 cats then they are an animal hoarder - WHY is she not considered a child hoarder)? I do "read" about these supermoms that have five kids of their own that adopt other children from third world countries or children with fatal birth defects. And I admire them fiercely. I work nights and I have three kids and I know I absolutely could not put another thing on my plate. Just babysitting a niece and nephew a couple hours a week feels like its pushing me to the edge of a nervous breakdown. I had an idea of what a "great" mom should be, and it was exactly as you said (clean house, never raising the voice, etc). But each time I added another child to the Clan that idea slipped further and further out of reality. Once in a while we do hear or read about Supermoms, but I like to think we are only getting a very small part of the big picture. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right here with ya. This past year has been a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-mom-pants year for me. I, also, do not believe in the 'supermom'. That mom is pretty uncreative and lacks uniqueness. And I have to say that I don't think Michelle Duggar is a 'Supermom' on or off camera, although she is a good mom in her own place in the universe. And there is always a time and a place for poptarts and popsicles.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!