Thursday, December 23, 2004

Savoring The Season

We started the morning at a nursing home in Minneapolis singing Christmas carols to their Alzheimer/dementia patients. It was wonderful to see the faces brighten at the sight of small children. And it's funny the way these diseases work. Not one person I spoke to could tell me their name, one person even hoped we enjoyed the rest of our summer (It was twenty below with the wind chill this morning), but they all remembered the words to their favorite Christmas songs, and joined us on each one. After singing the children handed out homemade Christmas cards and pictures much to the delight of the residents.

Almost an entire day has come and gone again, and the kids keep reminding me about how many days are left until our favorite holiday. I just can't help but wish I could slow down the days just a bit, savor them a bit more. Then maybe I wouldn't feel like they were growing up so fast.

Tonight I'm putting a log on the fireplace, and making hot chocolate. After Piper goes to bed I'll pass out a little of the homemade fudge we made and we'll snuggle together on the couch. I can't think of a better way to spend an evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!