Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Progress

When parenting a child with Autism it sometimes seems that nothing is happening. Day after day the same struggles occur as I strive to communicate with Ciaran. I try so hard to get into his world and bring him out into ours.

Last week for the first time in seven months, I took him to California to visit my parents. While we were there I heard one of the best things I could have heard. My dad told me that he could see a marked difference in Ciaran’s behavior. He was calmer, less likely to get into things, more content. He adjusted very well to the change of scenery and was actually a pleasure to travel with. I was thrilled!

My children are growing and changing every day and sometimes I think I’m missing it because I’m too close. I can’t see the forrest for the trees. Suddenly Quinn is taking a sippy cup (even if he does dribble half the water down his front), Ciaran is using more recognizable words and phrases, Bridget is learning to read, Piper is playing Reagan’s video games (and asking if Reagan can stay home from school to help her!), and Reagan’s voice keeps getting deeper and deeper.

As they progress, I continue to refine my parenting. From homeschooling to housekeeping to character building, every day I have to continue to grow and learn. I wish that were as easy to do as it is to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!