Sunday, March 12, 2006

Stop That!

Life with four children has become a delicate balance.  Not only of time and energy, but also my emotional health.  I walk a fine line between reason and insanity, and I'm not always sure which side of the line I fall on.

My faith teaches me that motherhood is a vocation: a calling from God.  Well, I believe that, but it would have been nice if he'd put a few more details in the instruction manual.  Would it have been so hard to have laid out a plan for managing household time along with the laws regarding what should be done when you kill another man's sheep?  Come on, now!

So, this morning I need to shower, curl my hair, apply make up, dress for work, feed the kids, feed the baby, change diapers, get everyone dressed, make beds, clean the kitchen, and do the laundry.  No sweat, right?

Well, it would be smooth sailing if they would just take turns crying!  Is that so hard?  I can handle it all and soothe each crisis, if they would simply stagger the crises so that I can do them one at a time.  While I'm breastfeeding and putting in a load of laundry is not the time to push your sister down and make her cry and then begin crying yourself because Dora is over!

Every mom is a Super-Mom, I tell you.  Every mom.

So, as I head off to work this afternoon, torn between being happy and sad to leave my children, maybe I should be thinking about writing my own instruction manual to be handed out as the mothers enter Bedlam...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!