Saturday, April 01, 2006

A Homeschooling Call To Action

I have written before about my experiences with the Pearl's and their material.  I discovered them when I was having trouble with Piper and was overjoyed at the thought of having peace in my home.  They came highly recommended by mom's whom I respected, and I was willing to give it a try.

I quickly found that I simply couldn't do things the way the Pearl's recommended.  It would have bordered on, or possibly crossed the line of abuse.  And I realized I didn't want to break their spirits, but direct them toward positive outlets.  Especially Piper.  I had to learn to be firm but fair, and be in authority, but not a bully.  So, I put their books on the shelf and began allowing them to collect dust.  Some time back it came to my attention that they were offering advice to women who were physically abused, and to mother's who were dealing with sexual abuse in their homes.  In my post, I stated without question that I could no longer support the Pearl's in any way, shape, or form.  I found their advice to be dangerous and irresponsible.

Now a child has been killed.  According to this article, little Sean Paddock was smothered to death after being wrapped in tight blankets by his adoptive mother.  The blankets were a punishment, as were the frequent beatings Sean and his older brother (who now limps) received.  Little Sean's parents had been following the methods laid out by the Pearl's and other like-minded authors.  Sean should still be here!

Other like-minded homeschool bloggers are now answering a call.  We are boycotting services, companies, and publications that in any way support the Pearl's, and we are asking that other's come out against them.  See The Happy Homeschooler for more information.

Currently being boycotted:
Homeschool Blogger
The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
Mike or Michael and Debi Pearl
Homestead Blogger

For New Homeschool blog hosting:
A Typical Life

For information on Christian parenting without physical discipline:
Gentle Christian Mothers

And if you'd like to show your support with your apparel:
Cafe Press

And let companies who deal with homeschoolers know that we would like them to have a public statement denouncing the Pearls!

Thank you in advance for all your support!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!