Saturday, February 24, 2007

Piper's First Reading Lesson

Piper had her first reading lesson this morning. This book teaches reading with the Distar method, and it takes about 15 minutes a day. It's really fantastic. And she was really getting it. Reagan was 6 when I did it with him. I was frustrated that after his first year in a public school he was still unable to read. This book had him reading on a second grade level within a month and a half. He was going through 2 lessons a day. We'd do one in the morning and one in the evening. He ate it up.

Piper, isn't even five yet. So some of the things that came really easy to Reagan come a little more slowly to Piper. Still, she's getting it. And since these lessons build so solidly on one another, I think she's going to do very well.

Anyone who wants to teach their child to read, I highly recommend this book. It was recommended to me by a homeschooling mom I met one day at the library. It tells you exactly what to say and how to communicate with your child. There's no guesswork. You just do what the book tells you, and when you're done your child can read.

Piper wanted to do more, but I wouldn't let her. I want to give today's lesson a chance to sink in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!