Thursday, June 04, 2009

Life Doesn't Have To Make Sense


Today was Piper's 7th birthday. Seven years ago my little girl came crying into the world with four pushes. And today, instead of celebrating with her, I was at work. Now, Piper was fine with that. We'd made plans to have cupcakes after I came home, and we're going to have cake and ice cream and presents tomorrow when I'm at home. But it bothered me to be away.

I have learned over time that I'm not as good at work if I'm resentful of being there. So on days like this, I give it to God, sure that I can do some good through Him, and certain that I can learn a lot from the wonderful people I help take care of.

At noon, I admitted a woman we've had before. She was fine about coming back to us, well aware that she'd had surgery and needed our help. There were only a few problems. First of all, she didn't think she had time to be admitted because she was certain that she was due in court at any moment. She wasn't even sure she had time for lunch until I assured her that I wouldn't let her miss the appointment. She also didn't think we could transfer her to the bathroom, or that the room across the hall wasn't really the one she should be in, or that we had a toilet. In fact, how could she get down to the second floor (we're on the first floor)? My patient while totally lucid as to her own condition, was completely confused about everything else.

I think she's going to get along famously with our other very confused patient, who spends a great deal of her day laughing. I absolutely love it. She's so happy! I think her laugh might be great to record and play for the Trick or Treaters at Halloween, but for something one might think would be annoying, in fact she just makes everyone smile. It's like she has a special sight for joy, and can pick it out of any situation. Even if she doesn't understand anything else that's happening.

My two confused patients really made life interesting today. Instead of dealing with just the plain old hustle and bustle of a busy Transitional Care Unit, I was navigating one patient through the complicated legal system while showing her around her own room, repeatedly, and laughing at the wonder of all things with the other.

Life doesn't always make sense. In fact, it really doesn't have to. We can find joy, wonder, and interest even in the most mundane. Sometimes it will be scary. A big move, an injury, an illness, life can throw all kinds of things at us we don't expect. But we can find peace in God and a smile in the midst of it. And even in the simplest of things, like going to work when I don't feel like it, God can teach me things if I'll just let myself be taught.

Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD.
Leviticus 19:32

1 comment:

I love comments!