Monday, June 15, 2009

Motivate Me Monday: Redeeming The Time


You may notice I'm going with Motivate Me Monday, this week. I've decided to go back and forth between this and Not Me! Monday. Partly because I just don't want to say what I'm not doing all the time. Like, today, I'm not totally daydreaming about a place that would take back incredibly frustrating daughters, you know, like the place where we adopted our cat. Nope! Not me. That would indicate a level of frustration I would never get to, and it's a little mean. Hey, wait! I'm slipping into the wrong meme!

Back on track, now, really. The other reason I want to do the Motivate Me Monday meme is because I just plain think it's a good idea. I love the idea of being able to share thoughts or ideas that help motivate other wives and moms out there. After all, this is not the easiest job you'll ever have. In fact, my parents tell me the best part of parenthood, is getting grandkids. And I don't know about you, but I'm kinda hoping I'm a long way away from that particular joy.

The theme this week is about time. And it's a really hard question. I'd love to know what I'd do if I only had another week on this earth. But it would really depend on a lot of things. For example, if I knew I was going to die, leaving those I love behind, I'd want to make sure that they all knew just how much they meant to me, and I'd just want to be with them. Friends, family, husband, kids, everyone. And I'd probably cry a lot. I'm just not done. I think I have work still to do. But if I knew Jesus was coming back in a week, I'd feel very differently. I'd be rejoicing, without fear, because I know my family would be with me forever.

What I do think I'd change regardless of the circumstances, is that I'd trade the mundane for the spectacular. Extravagant worship, ceaseless praise, love, joy and togetherness. And I wouldn't worry about the dirty kitchen floor that's calling me right now. That idea really helps put things in perspective a bit. The dirty floor might not be the nicest thing a visitor would notice at the moment, but I hope that what I'm missing in housekeeping I'm making up for with a welcoming spirit and a loving heart.

Recently I had an exchange on the blog of an Atheist homeschooling mom. It's interesting since I've been shown more graciousness and respect there, by people who think my faith is as real as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, than I have been on some sites run by fellow Christians. But I digress. On this blog I pointed out that I believe my duty as a Christian is to show others the love of the God that I worship, and that I believe I should be doing that through how I treat them, more than trying to make them believe as I do. If we are the body of Christ, that's how we will reach others, by our actions as much, if not more, than our words.

So, whether I have 7 days, 7 years, or 70 more, I want to be an example, however imperfect, of the grace and mercy I've been shown, by extending it to others wherever I can. And doing my best to remain humble. My kids are really good for helping with that.

Show me, O LORD, my life's end
and the number of my days;
let me know how fleeting is my life.
You have made my days a mere handbreadth;
the span of my years is as nothing before you.
Each man's life is but a breath.
Psalm 39:4-5

5 comments:

  1. awesome thoughts, thanks so much for joining in and sharing.
    and "not me! monday" totally rocks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts on time! Totally thought provoking! I spent yesterday cleaning for a big party and didn't spend a lot of time with my family. I think I'll do that today! Thanks and great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We truly have not one more hour, day, week promised to us.

    It is eye opening to think of...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I just found your blog and I LOVE IT! Just wanted to say you inspired me today. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with what you said about showing the love of God to others - that's how I live my Christianity. It's the Holy Spirit's job to convict, not mine.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!