Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cultivating Gratitude

Photobucket

My step-daughter Karina arrived from California on Tuesday. She was supposed to come on Monday with my dad. But they were flying stand-by and didn't make any of the flights. So, they tried again on Tuesday. Only she made it. I'm wildly pregnant and I miss my dad (my mom too, really, but my dad hasn't even seen our house yet) and I really wanted him to make it out. When I found out he hadn't been able to get a seat on the flight, I was really sad.

I spent the morning indulging in my bad mood when I heard a song sung by the band Barlow Girl. A hymn really. One I used to sing often in church, with my dad, who was our Choir Director. It's called "For the Beauty of the Earth". This stood out to me:

"For the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child;
Friends on Earth and friends above,
For all gentle thoughts and mild;
Lord of all, to Thee we raise
This, our hymn of grateful praise."

I stopped my sulking and remembered how much I had to be grateful for. A step-daughter whom I adore and was on her way to see us. Children who are healthy and happy. A baby on the way. A home to live in. An amazing husband. A father willing to be at the airport at 5 in the morning two days in a row to try to come and see us. Two parents who I can call and talk to.

Just like my children, I can't have everything I want all the time. And in those moments where I am sad or disappointed, I have to take time to cultivate gratitude for the many things I have been given. Life is too short to waste it pining for the things I don't have. I don't want to miss out on all that I do.

4 comments:

  1. I love that hymn. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In humility we praise. We shift from us to others. God is there in the midst of our praises and gratefulness. Keep it up, sister. Hang in there too. Pregnancy is one thing I can relate to! God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Job focusing on the positive! It is ok to be disappointed we just need to make sure it does not go further and take over our emotions! Praying you have a blessed and enjoyable time with your step daughter and that you will be reunited with you family for a visit again soon ~Blessings Heather ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right about this! it takes some intentional "self-encouragement" and refection, I think in order to stay thankful no matter what's going on.

    A friend of mine said it so well one time, "No, everything ain't right, but everything ain't wrong either!" LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!