Tuesday, August 19, 2014

A Thousand Times, I Love You

I'm not sure there are better words in the entire English language, than "I love you, Mommy."

If I'm having a bad day. If they're having a bad day. If we're enjoying our day. There's no bad time to hear it. Ever.

Brennan was snuggled up in my lap earlier. That boy, by the way, is a complete snuggle-fiend, and everyone should have one of their very own, because he's that good at it. Anyhow, he laid his head down on my chest and told me he loved me. My heart just melted, and everything that I was sure I was supposed to be doing (you know, like laundry, and the mountain of paperwork I have waiting to do for the kids schools), all flew out the window, since all I wanted to do was sit there and hold that child for as long as he would let me.

Of course, in the life of a four year old boy, the time allowed for snuggling is not nearly as much as I would like. And if I'm being honest, I really haven't gotten any of that other stuff done, though I'm going to start, really!

It got me thinking about Liam and how he has yet to say it. If I'm honest, one of the things I'm most excited about in terms of him going to school and improving verbally, is that I can't wait to hear him say that he loves me.

But, you know, even if he never does, it really doesn't matter, because I will tell him. I will tell him, that I love him so much, every day. That I am grateful every morning when they all wake up, and pound down the stairs making enough noise to rattle the dead (and by dead, I mean me). I love them for their smiles, their hands, their eyes, and the sound of their laughter.

I love that I get to be their mom. 

I wonder if they can ever understand how, for every "I love you mommy" they give to us, we have given them a thousand that they've never even heard. An I love you when they're sleeping. An I love you when they're sick. An I love you when they take their first steps, or ride their first bicycle. An I love you when they breathe in and out.

I hope for the day my youngest can tell me that he loves me. But it is not really necessary. My life is a love letter to my children that is answered by every smile and hug that tells me how much they love me too.

Now, go hug your babies, and tell them how much you love them. Even if they're not babies anymore.


*****

You read all the way through that? Thanks! If you liked it, click the link below which registers a vote for me, would you? Thanks. You're the best!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!