Friday, October 17, 2014

Small Victories

We had parent-teacher conferences this week.

(And I'm going to avoid ranting about coordinating six conferences over 4 schools, and my issues with two of them which meant I just didn't get the conferences I should have had for Liam and Ciaran. Oops. Guess that was kind of a rant, wasn't it?)

Anyway, conferences mean my kids get a five day weekend. It's just how they do things in our district.

But this meant I had to figure out what to do with my kids for three whole days. And I feel like I've been running around like a crazy person for weeks, so, I decided that what we would do, would be nothing.

Here's a list of things we must accomplish:

  • We must all eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.
  • We must change Liam, and take him to practice on the potty.
  • We must not let the house go completely to hell.
  • We must keep the pets fed and watered.
Here's a list of things it would be great if we could accomplish:
  • Keeping the house clean
  • Getting dressed every day
  • Not driving each other batshit crazy
Here's a list of things I'm choosing not to care about:
  • If people's clothes match, or are appropriate for the weather. Wanna wear shorts? That's okay, but you won't be playing outside.
  • If people comb their hair
  • If beds are made
  • What they're playing (so long as it's not wildly inappropriate)
Some moms plan things, and they're amazing. When I grow up, I want to do that. But that's not happening this week. And, I have to admit, I'm having an amazing time seeing what my kids' imaginations come up with. 

For example, Ciaran makes an amazing Captain Underpants. He puts on a cape, and strips down to his skivvies, and has such a good time saving the world from...whatever Captain Underpants saves the world from. And, I would like to point out that I have resisted the urge to take his picture, because I'm trying to be good over here. But man, would that be amazing blackmail material one day.

And Ciaran, Quinn, and Brennan apparently have come up with some games where they hit each other in the face. What could possibly go wrong with that? 

(I will say that we have a rule in our house, if it's not fun for everyone IT'S NOT FUN. So, anyone doesn't like something, and it stops. Period.)

I guess I've just decided that this mini-vacation can be just that. I can kick back a little, just making sure the basics get done, and so can my kids. Then maybe we'll be all refreshed for next week. 

I can hope.


And now I have more time to surf Pinterest and look at all the cool crafts and activities we could do....someday.

*****
You read all the way through that? Thanks! If you liked it, click the link below which registers a vote for me, would you? Thanks. You're the best!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!