Sunday, November 23, 2014

Make Thanksgiving Fun

I may just be speaking for myself here, but I don't find Thanksgiving to be all that fun.

Not that I don't enjoy time with family and friends. And hey, nothing is better than when other people cook it.

It's stressful. There's a ton of food to make and things to do. And half the food I'm not even excited about eating. I mean, I'm not an amazing foodie, or a trained chef, so my turkey is probably never going to be all juicy and wonderful.

I'm not sure if the first turkey I cooked was even done.

Then we eat for two weeks, something we didn't like that much on the first day.

So Dominic and I decided that, hey, this is our family and we can make our own traditions here, so screw it. Let's make stuff we like!

We talked to the kids and came up with a basic menu of things we actually want to eat.
  • Chicken enchiladas verdes
  • Refried beans
  • Stuffing
  • Refried beans
  • Cranberry sauce
  • Spanish rice
  • Green bean casserole
  • Pie
So, we're going to make our own Thanksgiving. We're going to eat food we want, and watch movies, and maybe after the kids go to bed, we'll drink wine and play a game of  Cards Against Humanity with some neighbors. A game which always reminds me that, no matter what I like to think, I'm not a nice person.

Holidays are a time to enjoy each other. So if you can, make it fun. Make it your own. Besides, the thing I'm most thankful for, is my family. I'd like to spend time with them, not in the kitchen.

Make it a real celebration.

*****
Thanks for reading. Please click the banner below which registers a vote for me. It means a lot to me.
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!