Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Some Days Are Just Like That

It's only 9:15 in the morning and my day has already been a little bit insane. I got the big kids up and off to school. Changed and dressed Liam.  Got clothes on Brennan and gave Quinn his clothes to put on.

Then I got a call from the school.  Piper had left her shoes at home (she wears snow boots to walk to school and changes into her shoes when she takes off her snow gear), could I please bring them?  Sure!  So, I simultaneously try to get the boys breakfast, get Ciaran ready for school, and put myself together enough to go out.

It occurs to me that it's cold.  I have to take Dominic to work and the boys go with us (obviously) so I should warm up the car.  I run out to the car, get it started, and head back to the house.  But for some reason I had to go back to the car.  Only the door won't open.

There might have been some colorful words at this point.  In order to continue my image as a delicate flower (You totally think I'm a delicate flower, right?), I won't repeat them here.  Let's just say the auto-correct on my phone always gets them wrong, and my bluetooth refuses to acknowledge that I even use them.  So, anyway, I go grab the spare I'd had made a while back.  It doesn't work.  At All.  It won't even fit in the door.  The words get more colorful as I race across the street to my neighbors house to see if she knows how to break into a car.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think she's a car thief or anything, but she used to sell cars, I thought she might know some tricks.

She didn't.  But she was still incredibly helpful, taking both shoes to Piper and Dominic to work.  Me, I called a locksmith.

Since it's a van, and it was an emergency, it cost me $115.  On top of that, they told me that not only was my key cut wrong, it was made on the completely wrong base. Essentially, it's a completely different key than our car key.  Thanks, Home Depot.

I should get a new spare made.  I should get AAA.  I should get some breakfast.

My day could definitely calm down now.  That would be okay too.  On the plus side, my weight is starting to go down again after remaining static through the Holidays.  I'll take that as a win.  And, Universe, no more surprises today, Ok?  Why do I have the sneaking suspicion that I've just tested fate by even daring to think that all the surprises for the day are done?


1 comment:

  1. Although mine wasn't any where near as dramatic as yours, I couldn't get into my car for 10 minutes. It was so cold last night, my car doors were frozen shut! My neighbour had to help me out.

    I hope the rest of your day was a lot calmer.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!