Friday, June 26, 2015

Love Wins

If you are an American, you know where you were today. Because today is the day that the Supreme Court decided that marriage is a civil right, that should belong to all persons, regardless of sexual orientation.

In other words:

We're All Gettin' Gay Married!

Okay, okay. It might just mean we're all married now. Like we have been, some of us. Like we should be if we want. But whatever.

As with any controversial decision, people have opinions. Strong ones. I do too. See, one of my children has come out to me in the last year. I have debated how much I wish to say on my blog and Facebook. As much as the child in question has wanted me to be open, I have hesitated. Not because I'm not proud. I'm so incredibly proud. But only because I didn't feel like my child's sexuality was mine to share. It's not my story.

That said, parenting my child, is my story. And today I can look at the future and know that whomever my children wish to marry, they will be allowed to do so. And I hope they do. Honestly, when my kid came out, my reaction was, "Find someone who loves you, and likes me, and I would love grandkids, but no pressure. You do what's right for you." Which, by the way is what I tell them all. What I have told them all since they were tiny. I really want my kids to find people who love them, and like me. I figure if they like me, I'll be invited to things.

And, today, my friends who have incredibly beautiful families, can now be recognized as such in all 50 states. I'm over the moon, excited about this!

My Facebook Page looks like a rainbow exploded. It's a virtual Pride parade with nothing but joy. I have been brought to happy tears over and over and over again.

Then I saw what Scott Walker (Republican Governor of Wisconsin) had to say:

“I believe this Supreme Court decision is a grave mistake. Five unelected judges have taken it upon themselves to redefine the institution of marriage, an institution that the author of this decision acknowledges ‘has been with us for millennia.’ In 2006 I, like millions of Americans, voted to amend our state constitution to protect the institution of marriage from exactly this type of judicial activism. The states are the proper place for these decisions to be made, and as we have seen repeatedly over the last few days, we will need a conservative president who will appoint men and women to the Court who will faithfully interpret the Constitution and laws of our land without injecting their own political agendas. As a result of this decision, the only alternative left for the American people is to support an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to reaffirm the ability of the states to continue to define marriage.

 “Recognizing that our Founders made our Constitution difficult to amend, I am reminded that it was first amended to protect our ‘First Freedom’ – the free exercise of religion. The First Amendment does not simply protect a narrow ‘right to worship,’ but provides broad protection to individuals and institutions to worship and act in accordance with their religious beliefs. In fact, the Wisconsin constitution explicitly protects the rights of conscience of our citizens. I can assure all Wisconsinites concerned about the impact of today’s decision that your conscience rights will be protected, and the government will not coerce you to act against your religious beliefs.  
 “I call on the president and all governors to join me in reassuring millions of Americans that the government will not force them to participate in activities that violate their deeply held religious beliefs. No one wants to live in a country where the government coerces people to act in opposition to their conscience. We will continue to fight for the freedoms of all Americans.”
This is my response:

Dear Scott Walker,

While I'd like to just say that you're a gigantic tool and be done with it, I actually have more.

The truth is, your faith isn't under any threat whatsoever. The legal understanding of marriage has changed many times in the millennia you mention. Hence why my father paid no dowry, I am not my husband's property, and I am his only wife.

Your religious understanding of matrimony will not change at all. Or it least it doesn't have to. No law will force it to. Saying so is ignorant, and deceitful. It is the state, not the church, that provides legal marriage, and therefore it is a civil right that has no bearing on your religion.

Since state marriage has no say over your church, why should your church have so much say over state marriage? Isn't that the whole point of the 1st Amendment?

Mr. Walker this ruling won't change what your church will or may teach about our LGBTQ brothers and sisters. And while I will fight for your right to believe what you want, I have to express sadness and disgust that another generation of gay kids are going to churches where they will learn that there is something wrong with them.

So, while I will fight for your right to believe what you wish, I promise you I will raise a loud voice with other LGBTQ people and Allies, calling those children to a community that will love an accept them for who they are. 

The reality of this ruling is that another person having civil rights infringes upon yours, not at all. You trying to make your religious law the law of the land, however, is definitely a violation of my first amendment rights. In addition, government telling two consenting adults that they can't enter into a contract with one another should really disturb your conservative sensibilities. And not allowing a family legal recognition and protection under the law violates the family values you claim to hold.

This ruling today was a blow for freedom, a blow against religious tyranny, and a victory for families everywhere.

Oh, and Mr. Walker, you are a gigantic tool. Watching you and your kind fight this, is like watching the segregationists on schoolhouse steps, swearing that white and black children will never learn together. You, like them, are a fleeting piece of bigoted history, I can only watch your political death gasps and smile. You, like them, will fade into history and be remembered for exactly what you are.

I can't wait.

(And a special thank you to my husband for reading and finding the typos I missed)
  *****

You read all the way through that? Thanks! If you liked it, click the link below which registers a vote for me, would you? Thanks. You're the best!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

1 comment:

  1. "To join me in reassuring millions of Americans that the government will not force them to participate in activities that violate their deeply held religious beliefs."

    This statement makes me so mad!! Don't marry someone of the same sex and you aren't violating your religious beliefs! I love your responce.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!