Saturday, July 31, 2004

To Train Up a Child






To Train Up A ChildDate: 01 August, 1994   —   $9.00   —   Book

product page

Rating:

Okay, I didn't agree with everything in this book, for example I couldn't switch my kids with a belt. But, I found virtually all of the information regarding training to be very useful. I have been the mother in church for whom the priest has stopped his homily due to the unruly toddler. I was embarrassed frequently by Piper, and I wanted it to stop. Reagan was easier to lead, though I struggled to find a path with him as well. I have not perfected my parenting technique, but within a few weeks of practicing many of the principles given in this book, Piper has gone from an unruly child to one that can sometimes follow directions. While her attitude still needs work, she has come a long way. I am not angry, I do not yell, there is much less stress, and I feel that my children are safer.

They are learning to follow directions the first time they are asked, which means they are hurt less often. They seem more content because they know what to expect from their mother and I no longer have to scream at them to convince them to cooperate. Even if you don't agree with everything, I think this is an incredibly usefull book and one that I will recommend to all new mothers. I like being the mother who gets to enjoy her children because she doesn't have to discipline all the time. Last night Piper and I sat on the couch and talked. We cuddled and smiled, held hands, and had a good time. A month ago that would not have happened, she wouldn't have stopped moving long enough to allow it. She is wonderfully spirited, but even spirited children need limits, boundaries, and the security of knowing that their mother is in charge. I know some people will disagree with me, but I think this book deals a lot with making your family one that works together in harmony. That's what I want.

Note, October 2, 2007: I have left this post on my blog because it's where we started.  But, after time I found the Pearl's material ineffective and potentially abusive.  I have withdrawn my support for all Pearl materials based on their poor parenting advice, their dangerous advice to victims of domestic abuse and  those whose husbands are sexually abusing their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!