Monday, December 04, 2006

Eclectic Homeschooling

This year we are using our tried and true, Catholic Heritage Curriculum.  But I am allowing Reagan to break away from it to try new things.  I have despaired over his seeming to dislike reading.  But finally, within the last few weeks, he picked up "Eragon" and has been hooked.  On dragons.  Definitely my son.

I've decided that this is a good excuse to leave the beaten path, look into dinosaurs, and talk about the development of myths and legends in culture.  But for the last week or so we've suspended lessons.  All he really wants to do is read, and I'm happy to let him do it.

He's really getting the Math that he's working on.  Actually, he's really getting all of his subjects.  The one thing he's not getting is essay writing.  So, we're going to start working on that in earnest.  He needs to understand how to construct the essay, how to communicate his thoughts through the written word.  He needs to learn that it's not enough to repeat the question several different ways, but he needs to answer it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!