Thursday, February 01, 2007

My Critic Responds

Part Two
Read Part One First

The Critic quoted in my last post has responded on her blog. My treatment will be as before with her post in italics and my responses in bold. The post quoted is at http://findmeinfloridaagain.blogspot.com/

One homeschooler is ticked at my LOGICAL ANSWER

This is her title. I'm certain that she found her post logical. I, however, did not. And I wanted to respond as I see my own blog as a place to answer criticism and raise awareness.
This one CRAZY PERSON IS TICKED AT MY viewpoint on homeschoolers.

I think the name calling is unnecessary .
Ninety-nine percent of homeschoolers don't know what the hell they are doing.

I actually don't even know how to respond to that. It lacks specificity as to what precisely it is that we don't know how to do, and it lacks any source for the statistic. I can only assume that Ms. Stark made it up as a way to "prove" her point. My personal opinion is that she has little to no real experience with homeschoolers or judges us as a whole by a bad apple she may have met along the way. I am quite certain that the homeschoolers that I know are competent.
This woman stays up all hours on the computer and doesn't teach her children the right thing. She has no training in what she is doing and doesn't know what she is doing.

I will admit to sometimes being up late on the computer. You see, my job as a nurse is from 2:30 in the afternoon until 11 at night. Very often I come home and get on the computer as a way to put space between work and home. As for what I am teaching my children, she simply doesn't know. As I mentioned in my last post, my parents and sister are all public school teachers and actually know my children and me. They have no concerns about their education in our home.
Duh? O Gee, I am so sorry that hurts, but it is the truth and most of the people in the United States of America agree, because they PUT THEIR CHILDREN IN SCHOOL.

I do put my children in school. Their school is simply located in our home. It doesn't hurt that someone disagrees with our choice! I'm okay with criticism, though I wish there were more meat to the argument. Most people in the USA put their children in the place that works best for their family. And I have no problem with the idea that I'm in the minority. What bothers me is when people insinuate that because it's not the majority, it's not a good decision. Frankly, I don't think Ms. Stark has any right to criticize my parenting. Not as a Sister in Christ, and not as a fellow citizen acting as I am acting within my rights.
I just see it for what it is: the over zeal of a one percent of the population screaming that they are a majority.

No one is screaming, or stating that they are in the majority. The argument made was that the majority of homeschooling parents (homeschoolers are approximately two percent of the nations kids1) lack education and are incapable of teaching their children at home. If that argument is based in fact and not opinion, I would expect it to be backed up by statistics. A simple request considering the attack is being made that we are in fact harming our children. A serious accusation that requires some kind of proof.
They are not. Face it, if you do this without an advanced degree, you don't know what you are doing. Most of them put their children before their marriage. Their marriage suffers.

If Ms. Stark means that I wouldn't know how to teach in a classroom, then she's absolutely right. She'll get no argument from me. I lack classroom management skills as well as different educational approaches. Fortunately, when homeschooling, it's far less necessary. I know the children intimately as their mother. I know how they learn. As for how my marriage is doing, I can assure everyone that it's doing quite well. I always put my husband first. One day the children will be grown, and he will still be with me. And I consider the nurturing of the marriage to be vital in creating a stable family environment with our children whom we've been given stewardship of. Sadly, many marriages are suffering in this country, and I don't think homeschooling is to blame. But if Ms. Stark has some evidence to show the harm of homeschooling on marriage, I would be interested to see it.
Again, I just see it for what it is: the over zeal of a one percent of the population screaming that they are a majority.

Remember one thing: THEY ARE NOT. If you are Catholic and you homeschool you are not more holy, not better than everyone else. More than likely you don't know what you are doing.

I thought I addressed this in my last post. Ms. Stark is correct. Homeschooling does NOT make anyone more holy or better than anyone else. Nor does railing against homeschooling. As to whether or not I know what I'm doing, again, I don't believe Ms. Stark can accurately assess that. And for evidence of the support within the church for the decision to homeschool as a legitimate right of parents, please see my last post.
Get off the video games and send your nine year old to school. And quit commenting or there can be legal action. Believe it or not, keep sending me these comments I will call your state's Department of Education.

Ms. Stark leaves her blog open to comments, which occasionally I do. They are never personal or unkind, but they usually disagree with her. So, she never allows them to be published. That is certainly her right. After all, it's her blog! So, when the last post came up, I simply commented that I would respond on my blog, as I did with her second post on the subject. If one leaves one's blog open for comments, it seems reasonable to me to expect people to comment. As for her threat about calling the department of education on me, I have no idea what she thinks they're capable of doing, seeing as how homeschooling is completely legal in this state.2
Once again, I ask that people pray for Ms. Stark and for myself. Personal feelings aside, she is a sister in Christ and a Child of the Living God and should be accorded that respect. I disagree with Ms. Stark on many issues, but she is part of the faith family, and we should always strive to build each other up and to resolve conflict.

We thank You, Master and Lover of mankind, King of the ages and giver of all good things, for destroying the dividing wall of enmity and granting peace to those who seek your mercy. We appeal to You to awaken the longing for a peaceful life in all those who are filled with hatred for their neighbors. Grant peace to your servants. Implant in them the fear of You and confirm in them love one for another. Extinguish every dispute and banish all temptations to disagreement. and to You we ascribe glory: to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and forever and unto ages of ages. Amen.




Part Three


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!