Monday, May 14, 2007

Sleep Issues

Bridget is having sleep issues.  Two nights ago she slept with me all night (Dominic works nights these days) because I was afraid to have her wandering the house and me not knowing about it.

Every night it is the same thing.  We have a bedtime routine, I tuck the girls in, kiss them goodnight, turn off the light, leave the door open a bit (Piper is afraid of the dark all of a sudden) and then I sit down.  Now, I'd love for this to be my free time, but I know it can't be.  Because Bridget gets up.

She gets up and plays, she gets up and dances, she gets up and sings.  I've been putting her down for over an hour tonight.  I'm sitting here typing a blog entry waiting for the next time she gets out of bed.  It's exhausting and it's frustrating.  The first time I say it's night night time.  The second time I say nothing.  Tonight she's been in time-out twice.  Honestly, it makes me wish I was a spanking mom.  Not that I think it would do a ton of good, but because it would help me relieve some frustration.

I hear parents say that they want their children to do the right thing because it's the right thing to do.  I get that, but is it so wrong to sometimes want them to do what you say, just because you say it?

Maybe I'm just sensitive tonight because my hormones are all wonky.  I'm trying not to take it personally that she's getting out of bed, because I know it's not personal.  She's not trying to purposefully upset me.  She just lacks self discipline.  I have to be that for her.  I have to remind her where the boundaries are and keep reminding her until she has no doubt.

Maybe I just needed to write it all out and encourage myself.  She will get it.  She will sleep.  She will learn to mind with patience and with time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!