Saturday, September 15, 2007

Tortilla Soup

By request, I have decided to post my tortilla soup recipe. It's very very easy, feeds my family for a couple of days, freezes, reheats, and even microwaves well, and is delicious!

Tortilla Soup:

All can sizes are suggestions.  If you can't find that size, pick something close.  It will still turn out great.

  • 4 14.5 oz. cans of Chicken broth (I've found 49 oz. cans of chicken broth and that works just as well.)

  • 2 10 oz. cans of chicken

  • 1 16 oz. bag of white or yellow corn

  • 2 8 oz. cans of tomato sauce

  • 1 package of taco seasoning

  • 2 14.5 oz. cans of Mexican tomatoes (Southwestern or similar varieties also work well)

  • 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce (my mother calls it "wooster-sauce" which I'm not sure is a British thing or just my mom.  Any British readers who can tell me?

  • 1/2 bunch of Cilantro (the other half can be frozen for the next batch)


Put all of the ingredients in a big pot and let them cook.  It can simmer all day if necessary.  When it's ready, I add Tobasco sauce and salt to taste.  Then we add cheddar cheese to our individual bowls.  Tortilla chips can also be added, but we like corn chips.  My parents have added potatoes in the past, but I prefer not to.  If you do, make sure the potatoes are cooked first.

If you have a small family, you can freeze half and it will thaw and reheat beautifully.  This is one of those things that makes your whole house smell warm and inviting, and I have yet to find someone who doesn't like it.

2 comments:

I love comments!