Friday, September 14, 2007

Working Together

Yet another day started with a call from Reagan's school.  He'd forgotten his lunch.  So, after getting dressed and taking care of house business, I took him his lunch at school.  Yesterday I had lunch with him for a bit, but he didn't seem to like it.  While the school encourages parents to eat with their kids, Reagan seems mildly embarrassed by me.  I think he's officially hit that age where I can begin to repay all the times he's embarrassed me as a child.

After school I went shopping, but I didn't take Piper with me.  I suppose I should have.  There are so many lessons that can be learned while shopping.  From sorting, to basic Math concepts, to nutrition, the store can be a great place for learning.  But today I think I just needed a break from hearing "Mommy, I want that!".

Still, learning happens.  When I got home, Piper and Bridget helped me unload groceries.  We counted items then, and talked about bigger and smaller, but mostly they got a chance to work as a team.  They were helpful and excited by a job well done.  There is something to be said for that.  There is something special about learning to work with your family, and to help one another.  It's such a gift to see the girls develop this bond, problem solve, and grow closer.

Sometimes I wonder about how quiet the house would be if Piper went to school like her older brother.  But I'd hate to miss all of these wonderful learning moments, even if the lessons are more about how to be part of a family than 2+2=4.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!