Thursday, April 23, 2009

They Really Do Learn

Today was a busy day at work. There were admissions, discharges, falls, a fracture, a medical emergency, doctors in and out, families to talk to to, orders to process, phone calls to make, and about a thousand other things to do. While I often say that I love that I have a job that allows me to serve, I will be honest and admit that I'm not always the best servant. I'm not always so good at humbling myself and serving others with the joy that I should have. It's something I work on. Today, for example, I don't think I had the best attitude.

So, it was a very special treat when I got home and began telling Dominic about my day, to have Piper decide to give me a back massage. Her massages are not strong, and don't do much for tight muscles, but they are a sincere gift of love and very special. Then as I sat, trying to unwind from my day, she brought the pillow from her bed to place behind my back. She was concerned that my back might hurt after a long day at work. It was very thoughtful.

At that moment I could see that all we talk about isn't going in one ear and out the other. While it may never be perfected (it certainly isn't in me yet!) my children are learning to care for others, to think of the needs of others, and are learning how important the small acts of kindness are.

In the musical Into The Woods there is a song that says "Careful the things you say, Children will listen. Careful the things you do, Children will see and learn. Children may not obey, but children will listen. Children will look to you for which way to turn, to learn what to be. Careful before you say "Listen to me", Children will listen..." and while this can sometimes be more curse than blessing, I'm grateful that it's true. I'm happy to see my children growing into young people that I'm genuinely proud of. And at the end of a long day, it's gratifying to see so much to be thankful for. Especially since I think Ciaran just peed on the carpet downstairs. Yeah, they still keep me humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!