Friday, June 19, 2009

If A Mother's Place Is In The Home...


I once saw a cross stitch on a wall that said "If a mother's place is in the home, why am I always in the car?". I think I was about 13 at the time and had no understanding of it at all. My mother certainly didn't seem to always be in the car. I was the last child at home, she had a job, and my dad did the grocery shopping. Can I just say, I get it now!

I think I could measure my day by how many times I'm in and out of the car. Of course, if my girls keep leaving bikes and scooters in the driveway (which is very long) it's possible I'll be able to start measuring my day by how many things I've run over. Today I ran over a scooter, a skateboard, and a green watering can. Yay, me! I think I got extra points for the watering can.

I take things places, I take kids places, I go to Target, I take my husband lunch at work, and so on and so forth. Sometimes in the afternoon I think how nice it would be to take a nap, but how short it will be cut because of some errand left undone. Wasn't I going to be a homemaker? When do I get to make my home? Between car trips, shopping, homeschooling, diaper changing, meal making, and everything else, I think my house lives in the state of bare passability (which, by the way, I'm pretty sure isn't actually a word). Anyone remember what the nice policemen said about it recently?

I have other questions, too. How exactly can my kitchen floor go from sparkly clean to filthy dirty in less than 48 hours? How is it that little girls can be so smelly after playing outside? I think I might have to bathe them every day all Summer if they keep it up. How do toddlers learn so fast how to take off their diapers? Where does the clutter come from? Are there little green men who follow me around taking out the things I put away?

In other news, my appetite is all wonky with me craving chocolate above anything nutritious. And I think my good mother card is going to be revoked if I feed my kids pizza again within the next week. So, you know, life is good.

I will be glad and rejoice in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.
Psalm 9:2

1 comment:

  1. LOL!

    So much going on! Hope you will give yourself a bit of grace...you are an awesome mommy, wife...woman!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!