Thursday, June 25, 2009

I'm So Grateful

This picture was taken about 3 years ago. It had been a long evening, and newborn Ciaran would only sleep snuggled up on my chest. So here I have him, cuddled in the MobyD wrap sling and an iPod bud in one ear, my glasses on because I was too tired to put in my contacts, as I wandered around our apartment trying to clean up and set things right before going to bed. Or at least trying to.

Sometimes I think I spend way too much time on this blog expressing how challenging I've found parenting, marriage, homemaking, homeschooling, working, and all the other things I do. This blog is sort of my outlet that way. But I hope I don't overdo it. There is a balance, after all.

I was talking to someone at work today who had lost her mother at a very early age, to illness. And this evening, Michael Jackson died of a sudden cardiac arrest, leaving behind three children. And I realized that I wanted to take a post to express how grateful I am that I have the jobs that I do.

I may find these roles challenging, but they're also the most rewarding things I've ever done. There's something incredibly special about seeing your child get something for the first time, or when they share something they've learned, when they're kind to someone, or even when they give you a hug because you're the mommy.

I'm grateful that I've been there for all the milestones in their lives and that I've been able to watch them change and grow. There is no place in the world I'd rather be than here with my family. Even if they do drive me absolutely crazy from time to time...or, you know, frequently.

It isn't easy, it isn't always fun, and I'm almost always concerned that I'm going to screw it up. But being their mom is still the best job I've ever had. And I'm so thankful that I have it.

6 comments:

  1. I like the occasional complaints. Everyone talks about how easy it is but it makes you feel more human when you know someone else is having troubles too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you, Kim. I've been to the blogs of the moms who seem to have it all together, and it's super easy, and their houses and kids are perfect.

    I don't like them. Like the women who leave the hospital in pre-pregnancy jeans, I like to pretend they don't exist.

    This blog will never be that. I'm generally the blog you read to realize you're not the only one who's sometimes holding onto sanity by your fingernails. Motherhood is hard, and I tend not to sugarcoat it.

    I just don't want anyone to think I'm ungrateful. After all, as crazy and chaotic as this all can be, it's my dream. I love it. And I hope, at least sometimes, I can be encouraging, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What women leave the hospital in prepregnancy jeans is that really true! I thought that was an urban legend ugh! Your great Anne I love your honesty as I said before it is refreshing! Were not perfect yet!...but we have Faith & Hope!.... For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though it may seem like too much time blogging it's for a WONDERFUL purpose and that is guiding me to be an amazing Mommy!!! Can't wait to see you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes, it easy to feel like we're the only ones dealing with a certain trial or having a hard time with something. That's when it is so very helpful to read about someone else dealing with issues - it helps to know we aren't alone! Thanks for being honest! And, thanks for reminding us to be thankful In the end, thankfulness will get us through the hardest of times. (By the way, you must not talk about things in too bad a light! I happen to be typing this right next to an award you won for "The Uplifting Blogger"!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have probably said this before, but I love how "real" you are. I love your faith.

    You have a BIG job there, much bigger that mine. I admire the mother you are.

    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!