Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Why We Do What We Do

I didn't have a great morning. I felt tired and sluggish when I woke up. It took me nearly 3 hours to put myself together, and by then we were already well into our school time. I finally realized we were going to have to make it up this weekend. I couldn't even do my nature lesson since it was pouring rain outside. I was irritable and frustrated and I just plain didn't feel good. I went from room to room trying to clean up messes that the kids had made.

Ultimately I realized I'm sick (again). But more than that, I felt really discouraged. I've spent nearly 12 years changing diapers, wiping noses, making meals, doing laundry, teaching, instilling manners, doling out challenges and consequences, and I'm still not on top of anything!

Then a wonderful thing happened. As I began getting out plates to make lunch, Reagan told me that he'd take care of it. He'd make and serve lunch and put the boys down for a nap. I should go rest. I did. I napped off and on for about 4 hours, during which time, Reagan handled things. And he did it well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not about to put the handling of my household, or my parenting duties in the hands of my 11 year old son. But at the moment I was feeling most discouraged that I hadn't taught my kids anything, he showed me what he'd learned. He knew how to make lunch, change diapers, make bottles, handle small disputes, and even clean up. And he had a heart that made him want to take care of me, when he saw I needed it. How can I even measure what that's worth?

And that's why we do what we do. For those moments where we see our children stand up a little taller, take on something challenging, or reach out to serve others. We do it for those moments where we see their character shine through and make us proud.

Discipline your son, and he will give you peace;
he will bring delight to your soul.
Proverbs 29:17

3 comments:

I love comments!