Friday, April 08, 2011

At War With The Pearl's...

I don't have too many Internet Enemies. I'm sure there are people out there who can't stand me, but generally we all leave each other alone. Still, if I could pick an Internet Nemesis, I think I might like it to be Michael Pearl.

Don't get me wrong. It's not that I wish the man any ill will. I mean, I might have wondered what it would be like if someone could treat him for a few days the way he recommends treating children.  Somehow, I don't think he'd like being beaten with a switch.  But that's not the same.  I genuinely loathe all that he and his teachings stand for. As a parent and as a person whose spirituality focuses on how important love is, I just can't fathom why anyone would teach parents the methods he does, or how he can call it Godly.

One of my BFF's told me that I'm a prime example of how people can raise their children exactly the opposite of how Pearl teaches, and be raising great kids. I'm sure Michael Pearl would disagree. I'm the kind of mom Michael Pearl warns people about! This gentle parenting mumbo-jumbo led me to kids who don't always listen, no longer homeschooling, and worst of all, leaving Christianity behind. Of course, my faith still leaves room for me to love Jesus. And I do. But I had to leave the religion before I people like Michael Pearl made me toss out the good with the bad.

I hope Michael Pearl learns whatever he needs to and one day stops teaching people that the way to raise good kids is by training them through ritualized whipping. I hope that no other kids are hurt or killed at the hands of parents following these methods. I'm sure he hopes I come to my senses, and start raising my kids "God's way". In the meantime, I'll be proud to be someone who speaks out against all that No Greater Joy teaches.

I'm sure they'll have all kinds of ways of dismissing anything I say. But I'm not going to shut up. Not when children like Lydia Schatz have died because of what this man teaches.
The Paradise couple accused of beating their adopted daughter to death and critically injuring another will not be going trial after reaching a last minute plea deal with prosecutors. Trial for Kevin and Elizabeth Schatz was to begin Monday, but on Friday afternoon Kevin Schatz agreed to plead guilty to all the charges against him, including first degree murder and torture, in exchange for a reduced charge of voluntary manslaughter for his wife. 
More on the plea deal in the Schatz case

Read my other Pearl's Posts here..


post signature

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you feel you have to leave Christianity... ug. Have you considered a more progressive branch? I bet you'd like my little church. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're going to be checking out a Unitarian Universalist Church tomorrow. Something that offers us a faith community with a bit less dogma. I have realized that I don't want a faith to tell me what the truth is, or what I must believe.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!