Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A Little Mommy Magic


Not exactly that kind of Mommy Magic.  But maybe...

Mommies are magical.  You don't have to agree, but that's what I've decided.  Not magical as in, calling upon the supernatural to do the unnatural.  Here's one definition I found to explain what I mean:
Magic is the art of affecting the manifest through the Unmanifest. The manifest is all that can be seen, touched, perceived, manipulated, imagined, or understood. The Unmanifest is none of these things. It is the place, or rather the non-place, from which everything issues.
Source
So what does magic look like in my house?  Well, Ciaran sliced the bottom of his foot open and has had stitches.  In addition to antibiotic cream and bandages, I also put a salve on it that's made with comfrey.  Comfrey has long been used by local wise women, as well as average women in their homes to treat all kinds of injuries.  Of course, Science has come along and explained it by now.  Turns out it's great at reducing inflammation and encouraging cellular growth.  Go figure.  Yesterday's magic or Witchcraft, todays Science.  But watching my son's wound heal is magical to me.

When my children are hurt, I have instinctively always rubbed my hands together, and touched them where it they were injured.  Anyone out there kiss booboos?  Isn't that kind of magical?  Maybe it's all in our minds, and touch and energy don't make any difference at all (I think they do of course, and there are some interesting studies about touch and healing).  But then, the power to influence someone's mind into healing itself, well that also seems kind of magical.  I wonder if this kind of magic that I practice today, will be tomorrows Science as herbs and potions once were.

I've seen Christian parents lay on hands and say a prayer.  That seems just as magical as a Pagan parent applying a bit of healing energy with a little blessing of the Gods or Goddess.  But however you or I or our neighbor do it, it's just a little Mommy Magic.  And our children, I think are pretty grateful.


3 comments:

  1. Anne,

    I love your insight and have often had the same point of view. There have been many times where I have helped speed the healing of minor bumps and bruises with "Mommy's magical healing kisses". I too have often chosen homeopathic remedies before resorting to anything over the counter when possible. I believe Mommy's are magical and it's how we wield our magic that helps determine how our little people grow on the inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kissing booboos is my superpower! It's almost as magical and amazing as making milk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Imagine, I totally agree.

    Genevra, Maybe I need one of those shirts "I make milk, what's your superpower?"

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!