Sunday, May 29, 2011

Blessing His Way


"Hi, my name is Anne, and I have a gazillion children."

"Hi, Anne"

Okay, my Blessingway wasn't really like that, but I've had fun trying to explain what it was or what one is.

I have had more than my fair share of babies. I don't need a high chair or a crib or a lot of the other things you might get at a shower. What I need is the love and support of my friends and family as I head toward the end of my pregnancy. That's what a Blessingway gives you.

So yesterday, the Bestie threw me a Blessingway. Friends came, there was food and chat, and I came away with several special things to take with me as I (with the help of the surgeon and medical team) bring Liam into the world.

My Sonya, looking at the picture above, had a fantastic idea of doing a henna art piece on my gigantic pregnant belly. Um, we had trouble finding henna. Even the Indian grocery store that I was sure carried it, managed to disappear since the last time I was there. But my Sonya is not a quitter! She grabbed her colored eye liner pencils and sent the teenage girls to decorate me. This is what I got:

I love those girls.  To be honest, I think the henna may only work on those cute little first time mom bellies.  I, however, have an I've-gained-50-pounds belly covered in stretch marks from babies past.  This is as pretty as it gets, folks.  
My friends brought beads to make me a bracelet that will go with me to the hospital and remind me of the love and strength that go with both Liam and me.  They made me a book with bits of love and good wishes, and they decorated onsies too.  I have to say, there were many clever and artistic people.  But I do have a fondness for the one I made for my son:
I love Mommy, Daddy, & Riding in the Tardis
Yes, we are that geek family. 

I owe a huge thank you to my Bestie for making the day happen, her family for helping her, and the people who've poured out their love and support to Liam and me.  You all know that this pregnancy brought some unexpected surprises, not the least of which was that he was expected at all.  I know the hardest fight for Liam is still ahead, and as his Mommy, it's going to scare me, even if he does as well as I hope.  All the care I've been shown has been a real strength to me, and I'm very grateful for it.  

1 comment:

  1. *hugs* I love you! I am glad you enjoyed your party! <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!