Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Pagan Family Values?

Stacy, over at Inspired by Life, wrote a post yesterday about Pagan Family Values. Apparently, it's Pagan Family Values month. Who knew? Well, obviously, Stacy, but that's beside the point.

It turns out that this is a topic I've been thinking about for a while. See, I became a Pagan in High School. But by the time I had a husband and kids, my spiritual path had moved to Christianity. And while I knew in my heart that Wicca was a gentle nature religion, my experience with it had been as a sort of hedonistic teenager, not a responsible adult. Values had not factored into my time as a Pagan, except for the basics which I was not applying as a mature adult.

Interestingly, my values really didn't change, as my views broadened, and I found myself back on a Pagan Spiritual Path. And as I've read the blogs of other Pagan moms, I've found that much is the same no matter what your religious path.

Our values do have a basis in our faith.  Not all Pagans believe in the Rule of Three, that all energy put out into the world will be returned threefold.  But most of us believe that it will be returned in one way or another.    I think most of us can see that.  Smile at someone, and they'll likely smile back.  A small example, but it makes the point.

And, in the form of Paganism I follow, the Wiccan Rede teaches "An it harm none do what ye will".  Our actions should always be thoughtful, our decisions shouldn't harm others, ourselves, or the world in which we live.

When you combine these ideas together, it ends up incredibly similar to "Do Unto Others".  It is our job as Pagans to treat others with respect and kindness.  To protect and stand up for those unable to speak for themselves.  To be good Stewards of the Earth we live on.  Like any other parent, I want my children to grow up safe and happy, not aged too quickly by a world that moves too fast.  In our house, we cultivate the same values as other parents, teaching our children honesty, integrity, kindness, charity, and responsibility.

Yes, Pagans have family values.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!