Saturday, August 30, 2014

To My Son On His 5th Birthday

5 years ago, today, we met for the first time. It was a really special day. It's a shame you can't remember any of it. I mean, I'll bet you don't even know how awesome I looked after I'd been in labor for hours and your dad and the nurse had to catch you. I'm just going to tell you that I looked fabulous. Almost as good as you, in fact.

Of course, that's my Brennan. You just can't wait for things. You just had to come when you wanted to, doctor be damned. You haven't changed much, in that regard.

You were born into a big family, and sometimes I wonder if that was the best or worst thing I ever did to you. I hope you know that you are surrounded by love, every day. Even if sometimes the people who love you, are taking your toys.

Right now you are somewhere between being a little boy, and a school boy. You like to call it being a "medium" boy. You are still all snuggles, and sometimes fall asleep on the couch in the afternoon, after explaining to me that you don't need a nap. I love all the snuggles you give, and your charming smiles. I hope they don't go away too fast, as you discover the fun of being a Kindergarten Kid.

Right now, your favorite color is pink. And what you wanted for your birthday was a doll stroller. Which you got, by the way. Along with a new doll who drinks from her bottle, coos, and even makes sleep noises.

You love her so much, you've named her Margaret, and have spent all evening fussing over her. Seriously, all evening. You actually intimated that I might not be holding her right. And child, let me tell you, I've held a few babies. I've got this. It was hard to convince you to hand her off to someone else so that you could blow the candles out on your cool Batman cake.

I think you're going to be an amazing daddy someday.

I have hopes for you and dreams for you. But really, they don't matter. What matters to me is that you find your hopes and your dreams, and that you follow them, whatever comes. I hope you know that you have a small army of brothers and sisters, not to mention your dad and me, who will be in your corner always. And someday, I think you'll have an amazing partner, too. If they love you half as much as we do, we will love them, and will consider them family.

You have a wicked sense of humor, and you love to make us laugh. You do, too, all the time. I think you're going to make lots of friends when you start school in a couple of days. Just remember, be a good person. Be nice to people. Treat them the way you want to be treated. Some people will love that, and will look out for you the way you look out for them. Some people won't, but that will be their loss, and not yours.

You have a temper, and sometimes an attitude. Try to remember not to let your attitude keep you from the things you really need. Like when you're so mad about being hungry, that you don't want to eat. Seriously, it doesn't even make sense. Stop it.

But keep loving people the way you do. You have a big heart, bigger even than your smile.

I'm so glad I have been your mommy. Let me tell you, Medium Boy Brennan, five years have gone by way too fast.

I love you, I love you, I love you. Happy Birthday, Monkey.

(And because I've been blogging for a million years, here's a link to his birth story, for anyone interested)

*****

They grow up too fast! If you liked this, would you mind clicking the link below? Just clicking it, registers a vote for me, and improves my ranking, making me easier to find. Thanks so much, you're the best!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

4 comments:

  1. You tell that Medium Boy of yours that someone who has never met him said he's not only handsome and has a great smile and ginormous heart, but he also has an amazing mother. I want to be watching when he is old enough to read this post (and all the posts his mama has written about him). I want to see his face the moment he realizes just how loved he is. Every boy, girl (and Monkey, obviously) should be loved this much. For if they are nothing would ever be impossible.

    Happy Birthday! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my wish that one day they would understand, even a little bit, how much they are loved. And you're so right. Every child should be so loved. Imagine what could be accomplished!

      Thank you, Magaly. <3

      Delete
  2. One thing so incredibly wonderful about kids - mine, yours, every child - is how distinctly unique each is their own way. A very wise motherly kindergarten teacher helped me put it into words. My daughter was in her class a year following one of my sons also having her for kindergarten. One day on the playground she & I were talking (forget about what specifically) about my kids & I kind of apologized for comparing them. Having 6 children of her own she quickly corrected me, saying I wasn't "comparing" them, but rather observing their differences. As mothers do, and should. Bingo! That was it exactly! So a very Happy Birthday to Brennan, one of your own unique children :) Chinatears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does amaze me that every one is so very much their own. But I sure wouldn't have it any other way. One of the joys of my life is finding out who each of them is. :)

      Delete

I love comments!