Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Best Distraction

I had plans to sit down and write a blog post.

But I got distracted. The sweetest little 3 year old blonde snuggled up in my lap. He wanted to cuddle, to play with my nose, and to sing songs. It made it really hard to concentrate, and now I can't even remember what I was going to write about.

Maybe I was going to tell you that I have big news, today.

I got offered a job, and I accepted it!

I start Monday, working part-time from home as a peer lactation counselor for the city's WIC program. It's an amazing opportunity for me to help my family financially, but more than that I get to reach out to expectant moms with resources about breastfeeding, and help moms for the first year, to really get the most out of their breastfeeding relationship.

No one is surprised to find out that the snarky, crunchy, Pagan, hippie mom is a fan of breastfeeding, right?

But I will say, as I get older, I become more and more convinced of what a great thing breastfeeding and breastmilk is, yet I'm far less militant about it. I really don't care so much about judging the decisions of other moms on this kind of thing. What I do care about, is making sure that women have access to all the best information with which to make a choice, and the right resources to make sure that their babies have the best start at life.

Lets be honest. Motherhood isn't glamorous, although some people's blog photos make me think it might be. And in the beginning, especially, it can be really hard. So, how nice would it be to just talk to another knowledgeable mom who can tell you what you're doing right, encourage you, and help you if you're having a problem?

I really think this is the perfect job for me. Especially if I can help a mom sit down and enjoy the best distraction in the world, her baby.

*****

Those pesky blonde toddlers make writing blog posts take a lot longer than they should. Thanks for reading. And, if you liked my blog, please click the link below which registers a vote for me, would you? You're the best!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!