Sunday, April 17, 2005

Language

Okay, being a Jane Austin fan and loving books as I do, I regret the fact that we Americans have lost the beauty of our language. Conversation used to be an art, and a proper young lady was taught to converse politely in society. We certainly can't do that anymore. Along with that ability to understand more complex patterns of speech, many of us have lost the ability to read real literature, source materials, or anything else requiring more intense concentration. I'm completely guilty of that. I'm reading the novel Possession at the moment, and have to be completely awake or I miss the meaning completely. So here's how I fared on an interesting quiz:




















Your Linguistic Profile:


85% General American English
5% Dixie
5% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

What Kind of American English Do You Speak?


Not surprising really. I grew up in California, the melting pot of Speech. I hope I can teach my children better use of the beautiful language they're learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!