Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Satisfaction

Photobucket

Being a "keeper at home" is not the profession I was raised for. My parents, classically trained musicians, made their living teaching.

Education was prized in my house. It was never even questioned that I would go to college. It was simply expected. One of my older sisters has a degree from Berkeley and UCLA. Another sister has her MBA from USC. As the baby, I had a lot to live up to. It was expected that I would get my degree in something useful and lofty, and then have a career.

Of course, I do have a career that I absolutely love. I believe nursing is a calling and a profession that I'm so grateful to be a part of. But my real job is at home with my kids.

So, how does one learn to do something for which they were never trained? Trying to homeschool, raise kids, take care of everyone's needs, and keep an entire household organized and running smoothly is not easy. I don't care what anyone says. If you take being a SAHM seriously, then it's an all day job, and it never feels finished.

Over time, I've learned some things that work for me. But I'm still looking for systems and tricks to help streamline the process, make it simpler, and get more done. I may have found it in a new chore planner. I can't believe how much I got done today using it! I'd like to use it for a few more weeks before I recommend it, but if it helps like it did today, I don't think I'll be without it ever again!

And for a change I can go to bed feeling productive and valuable. Satisfied with what I did. Like I really took care of my family and did well. As a side note, trying to find an image to go with "satisfied woman" brought up things that were not at all what I was looking for. Note to self: pick adjectives more carefully!

She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
Psalm 31:27-28

4 comments:

  1. I am noticing we have a bit in common. I am also a nurse, homeschooling mom and have a child with Sensory Processing Disorder.

    Glad to hear today was a better day for you! I'd be interested to hear more about your chore chart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Anne~ I am definitly not what anyone expected but I am Glad to know I am exactly who God wants me to be! ~Have A great 4th of July with your family~ Blessings Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm dying to know about this chore planner. I've been looking for something like that myself to help keep me on track during the week. It's so easy to let a game of peek-a-boo take over the whole morning so you forget the laundry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so thankful that we live in a time where people are STARTING to acknowledge the job that SAHMs are doing!!!

    you are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!