Thursday, December 25, 2014

The Serial Obsession

This is a slight departure from the normal talk of babies and other such topics.

Because, while I'm late to the Serial party, I'm obsessed with it.

I not only listen to the podcast, I have also listened to three separate podcasts about the Serial podcast. Which is kind of hard-core.

I think.

It might just be crazy.

I have listed to all 12 episodes. And then I listened a second time, looking for new information that would sway me one way or another.

For those not swept up in the Serial craze (crazy?) it's an NPR podcast. A spinoff of This American Life, host Sarah Koenig takes us through the confusing case of the murder of Hae Min Lee, and Adnan Sayed who was convicted of her murder. They were High School sweethearts, exes. And the story stinks to high heaven.

By the end I was left with the feeling that I could never be 100% sure that he was innocent. And I can't be without someone coming forward to truly be honest about what happened that day. But it also seemed like there was far too much reasonable doubt to have convicted a 17 year old boy of murder. I'm not remotely convinced that he did it.

It seems I have only scratched the surface, though, of information out there on this case. Now there are blogs, and Reddit (which I might be too old for, because I'm not sure I get Reddit).

But the thought that I just can't shake, is that Serial has become about Adnan. Which makes sense. It is a family friend who believes in his innocence, who brought the story to Ms. Koenig in the first place. But I would like to approach this story from a different perspective, with Hae Lee as the center.

Hae Min Lee was a beautiful, talented, and by all accounts, truly kind 18 year old girl. Someone put their hands around her throat and strangled her to death. Someone buried her in a shallow grave in Leakin Park. Someone left her family and friends without her.

I think we owe it to her to find out what really happened to her.

I have my theories, based on what I've heard. I wish it could be all nicely tied up like an episode of Law & Order. It breaks my heart that we don't know why she's gone. And it breaks my heart that someone who I think may be truly innocent of her murder has spent 15 years in prison.

Someone ruined a lot of lives. And I don't think it was Adnan Sayed.

I'm hoping that Season 2 of Serial doesn't completely ignore this story. Sarah Koenig made me care about these people.

*****
You read all the way through that? Thanks! If you liked it, click the link below which registers a vote for me, would you? Thanks. You're the best!
If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!